In the world of today people like travelling not only for fun, but for other motives as well, such as in search of opportunities, jobs and better lifestyles. US being a supreme power of this nation is a hub for opportunities in industrial, professional, technological, cultural and financial sectors. Although all the countries look forward to maintaining healthy relations with US to make travelling hassle free, Canada being the closest to US is at an advantage and should be aware of all the procedures required to travel to US easily which includes having knowledge about applying for a US waiver.
WHY IS A US WAIVER REQUIRED?
About 2 decades ago, Canadians faced no trouble in travelling to US. In fact, only a passport was required to board a flight and only a driving license for crossing the border by road, but for the last few years, Canadians are facing a lot of trouble crossing the border which was earlier known as the world’s longest undefended and friendly border. Canadians with criminal records, especially need to ensure that they apply for a US waiver if they wish to cross the US-Canada border. All of this issue because America is facing problems with illegal immigrants and threats to its security.
WHAT DOES THE TERM “US WAIVER” REFER TO?
A US waiver refers to a special document that is made in case a person of any nationality is barred from entering US legally.
REASONS WHY A US WAIVER IS REQUIRED:
- If you are employed illegally in the US, or if you are staying there for more time than your visa granted.
- If you were caught crossing the border with something illegal like drugs or forged documents, you will be stopped from crossing the border.
- If you violated the rules of US and you were deported.
- If you are a Canadian with a criminal history, you will be stopped from entering US.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF RECORD SUSPENSION?
A record suspension helps to seal records if the criminal has paid fines and the punishment has been completed. This only helps those who have not been recognized by CBP (Customs and Border Patrol). But for those who have been flagged by CBP, record suspension does not help.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF A US WAIVER?
A US waiver is a special document that has to be presented at the airport if you have a criminal record or due to some reason you are denied entry to US. It has to be renewed if you wish to stay for a long time or visit on a regular basis.
HOW TO START THE PROCEDURE?
- The first step is to get fingerprints with the help of police or other fingerprint services.
- The Department of Homeland Security demands some additional documents which you have to provide like a passport, documents confirming employment, counseling proof etc.
- As you have past criminal records you have to provide court documents that are certified.
- One of the crucial steps for applying in US is to fill these two forms: I-192 and G-325A.The forms should be filled carefully as any minor error can result into the rejection of the form.
- After completing this procedure you just have to make sure that you have submitted everything properly and it is suggested by the authorities to check the status of your application after four months.
For more information, visit National Pardon.